SunVest Solar, Inc. is a leading solar developer of distributed-scale solar energy projects. Based in Chicago, Illinois, the company is actively developing projects in fifteen states and maintains additional offices in Pewaukee, WI, Madison WI and Geneva IL.
This Policy Associate role will be responsible for managing state and federal policy issues with a particular focus on commercial/industrial (behind-the-meter) and community solar development. The position will work in close coordination with SunVest VP of External Affairs & Policy and Project Development teams.
• Track legislative and regulatory activity in select states
• Review new statutes and regulations, provide summaries and assist internal teams to craft business strategies that reflect public policy
• Advocate for policies beneficial to solar energy and SunVest’s business strategy
• Interact frequently with external parties, including trade groups, legislators, regulators, other companies and outside stakeholders
• Report and provide context for policy actions to internal teams
• Passion for public policy and solving big problems
• 2-5 years experience in one of these areas: Renewable energy, preferably with some focus on public policy; or Government, preferably a state utility commission, legislative committee, energy office or other relevant position; or Environmental policy advocacy or lobbying
• Rhetorical skill and ability to frame an argument; a strong writer.
• Fluid interpersonal and communication skills
• Robust organizational capabilities and an ability to work independently
• Eager to collaborate and communicate with a broad variety of people
• Understanding of net metering policy, community solar policy, interconnection and other related subject matter
• Experience in clean energy advocacy (renewables, electric vehicles, environment, etc)
• Relationships within clean energy sectors
• Relationships with regulators, legislators or advocates in key states (IL, WI, MN, NM)
• Advanced degree in law, policy, public administration or other relevant field.
• Competitive Salary
• Annual Performance Bonus
• Benefits: Health, Vision, Dental, Basic Life Insurance, Short and Long-Term Disability
• 4 weeks paid vacation
• 401(k) offered with employer match
• Health and wellness programs
Diversity, equity and inclusion are a core focus of this role. Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Send the following information to email@example.com:
• Resume/LinkedIn profile
• Writing sample (article, regulatory filing, memo, whitepaper or other written material relevant to clean energy or government).
Cover letters welcome but not required.